Canterbury Academy at Small Beginnings offers families a unique Montessori-based educational environment where preschool, kindergarten, and elementary students thrive! We know that finding the right school for your child is an extremely important decision and we strive every day to provide children a well-rounded educational experience that will serve them for years to come.
- Infant Daycare (ages 2 weeks to 1 year)
- Toddler Daycare (ages 1 to 2.5)
- Preschool (ages 2.5 to 4)
- Pre-Kindergarten (ages 4 to 5)
- K-5 (ages 5 to 11) – for the 2020 – 2021 school year, we will be offering additional classes for structured small group education in a multi-age setting. New classes will be for grades K-2 and grades 3-5 as separate groupings. We are also offering a virtual/hybrid program to help students with virtual learning support according to local school district programs. We will partner with local school districts to follow learning plans and will help children stay on track with virtual learning.
- Summer Camp (ages 5 to 12)
Our Montessori Philosophy
Our primary objective at Canterbury Academy is to create enriching elementary and preschool learning centers that facilitate extraordinary development. We believe that every child has the ability to learn and to teach, and that a child who enjoys learning will always seek challenges in life.
Our programs are based upon the Montessori principles of self-direction and experiential education. We promote a thoughtful and sensitive atmosphere in each classroom, and we support cooperation between children as they learn from one another. We have Montessori-based Learning Centers in each classroom, which ensure each child has numerous content-rich activities to explore at any given time. Our multi-age preschool classrooms enhance our learning environment by allowing children to develop at their own pace.
Kindness is the foundation of our school culture and Kind Child has become a popular part of our curriculum. We introduce social and emotional skills each month and focus on the development of a specific character trait like Responsibility, Empathy, a Positive Self-Image, and Respect every two months. The goal of Kind Child is to elevate the well-being of every child in our care and to enrich friendships.
Our School’s Location
Canterbury Academy at Small Beginnings is conveniently located less than a mile east of the 69 Highway and can be reached by taking the exit at either 151st St or 159th St. Our address is 15801 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS 66223, but you’ll want to turn east onto 158th St from Metcalf Avenue to reach our parking lot. We share the southeast corner of Metcalf and 158th St with Bank of America and Tires Plus.
If you’re looking for before and after care for your elementary student, we provide transportation to and from Blue River Elementary School, Lakewood Elementary, Stanley Elementary, Stilwell Elementary, Sunrise Point Elementary, and Morse Elementary.